This was one of those wonderful recipes that just worked, I’m not going to lie I was pretty pleased with it! It even got high praise from my husband who is not normally as vocal about his food pleasures as I am, so I felt it was definitely worth writing about.
When avoiding gluten and dairy, breakfast can be one of the toughest meals but when you can eat things as delicious as this it makes it a lot easier! This makes a perfect breakfast, as the oats will give a slow steady release of energy to keep you going till lunch time and the nuts add that all important protein to prevent the mid afternoon dip, plus the inclusion of coconut sugar instead of normal sugar gives it a much lower GI and fructose content, that combined with the cinnamon makes it a great breakfast for blood sugar balancing. It also has a wonderful balance of essential fatty acids, Omega 6 from the nuts and Omega 3 from the flaxseed. It is also high in B vitamins giving you a good boost of energy for the day, antioxidants and Vitamin E.
It is also great for people short of time as you can soak the nights on a Sunday night, make it quickly on the Monday morning then it will last you for most of the week, some people may prefer to add the apple fresh each morning as it can discolour but the addition of lemon will help this.
- 100g Jumbo oats (gluten free if needed)
- ½ pint Almond Milk
- 2tbsp Coconut Yogurt (or live natural yogurt if you prefer)
- 200g Blueberries
- 1 apple grated
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp Chopped Hazelnuts
- 1 tbsp flaxseed or chia seeds
- 1 tbsp toasted flaked almonds
- 2tbsp coconut sugar
- ½ lemon
- Soak the oats in the almond milk, this should be done the night before or at least a few hours before. When ready to eat add the grated apple, squeezed lemon, cinnamon, chopped hazelnuts and chia or flaxseed. Stir well. Next blend the blueberries with the coconut yogurt, add this to the oat mixture , then add the coconut sugar and give it a good stir.
- Top with flaked almonds and serve.