I have to admit I have never been particularly American with my breakfast choices and Sunday morning pancakes was never very high on my agenda in fact baking and general cooking of sweet things was never really my thing I tend to be much more of a savoury breakfast fan. However after playing around with ingredients for this blog I have to admit I am fast becoming a convert. So here goes, breakfast the ‘American way’, but free from gluten, dairy and sugar yet really delicious!
Buckwheat flour has a strong slightly nutty flavour, it can sometimes be a bit too powerful but with the banana and pecan butter it works perfectly in this recipe providing a great depth of flavour.
These pancakes are best eaten straight away.
- 140g Buckwheat Flour
- 1dsp baking powder
- 1dsp coconut sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 very ripe banana mashed
- 1tbsp Pecan butter
- 175ml Almond Milk
- 1 organic egg
- 1 tsp of melted ghee or coconut oil
- To serve:
- 300g of blueberries
- 1-2 mangos
- Coyo coconut yogurt (can be replaced with live natural yogurt if dairy is not an issue for you)
- Maple syrup
- Chopped Pecan nuts (optional)
- Place the Buckwheat flour, baking powder, coconut sugar & cinnamon in a bowl.
- Make a hole in the centre and drop in the egg.
- In another bowl or measuring jug whisk the Almond milk, banana and pecan butter together.
- Slowly add these wet ingredients to the this to the flour mixture whisking until well combined and smotth don’t worry if the banana leaves a few lumps, it is just the flour you don’t want to be clumpy.
- Add the melted ghee or coconut oil and a tiny pinch of sea salt.
- Heat a frying pan, brush with coconut oil or ghee and place a dollop of batter in the pan, it should flattern out to an appropriate size, you should be able to get 2-4 in the pan at the same time depending on your size of frying pan.
- Heat until bubbles start to appear on their surface then turn over and cook for another couple of minutes, remove from the pan and keep warm until ready to serve.
- Continue cooking until all the batter is finished.
- To serve chop up the mango and mix with the blueberries and put a spoonful on top of your pancake with a good dollop of coconut yogurt and a squeeze of maple syrup.